November 11, 2011

Sigh.

Today, I got to my classroom early, and so I sat down in the corner of the carpeted hallway to wait for the other class to vacate the room. I was reviewing my notes, when an older professor walked out of his office and saw me. He said, "You look like you've been bad!"

I said, icily, "I'm the instructor. I'm waiting for my classroom."

I don't know why men talk to me like this, like they're teasing a little girl. It happens to me all the time. And then I'm supposed to smile and respond like it's funny.

I'm a friendly and open person, and I like talking to strangers. I even like to make fun of myself. But I'm not your four-year-old granddaughter. I'm an adult.

He seemed to realize he had offended me, and he just walked away. But eventually he walked back over and asked me what I teach. I said, "statistics and research methods."

I actually wish I had said something even more badass, like "advanced astro-mechanical physics" or something.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home