April 21, 2011

People Suck

Today is one of those days when I feel incredibly disappointed in people. I organized something for my department -- an activity that 20+ people said they wanted to do -- spending hours of my time and putting down a cash deposit. 24 people made a commitment to be there.

More than half of the people that I was expecting blew it off, and as a result, I lost my deposit. Many people told me yesterday that they couldn't make it. Some people had good reasons, and others had crappy reasons that basically told me they weren't coming because it turned out to be inconvenient. Even though they made a commitment two weeks ago.

I am asking everyone who said they would come to help me pay a fraction of the deposit. Asking for money makes me incredibly uncomfortable, and I am probably going to stammer apologetically when people give it to me. But I really believe it's the right thing to do, and if I had been one of the participants (or one of the no-shows), I'd want to give me the money.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home