March 3, 2011

A rough day

A lot happened yesterday. I talked to my advisor about The Future and he told me that he thinks I will be ready for the job market in September. He wants me to work hard on getting a rough draft of everything done by the fall. He says it's better if I don't get a summer job but instead take out loans or find some other way to live without income.

I hadn't been planning to do everything so soon, so my head was spinning from all of this. Future stress, money stress. At the same time, I was rushing to get ready for an interview with an Important Person. I had written to ask if he would be willing to be interviewed for my dissertation, and he wrote back, "Why don't you stop by my office tonight?" So I had to run home and throw an interview together in an hour,

and then when I got home I got an e-mail from my mother, letting me know that a relative had died unexpectedly. The mother of my little cousins died. I had to pull it together and write my interview questions, then I got ready fast and started running to get there in time.

The interview went well, actually. He was great, very kind and helpful, and I got everything I need.

I got home and finally let myself cry. I couldn't sleep last night. There was so much on my mind. I finally fell asleep early this morning, then woke up exhausted and with the worst cramps ever. Today has not been very productive. I tried to deal with one thing and it became a stressful mess of miscommunication. I didn't even eat til 4. I just feel so drained and sad and sore.

Now I'm just on my couch, drinking hot tea and watching American Idol... I think I'm just going to take the night off and start over tomorrow.

4 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry you had a rough day. It sounds like it was emotionally draining and stressful, despite some good news (the interview, and going on the job market soon!). Hugs. I hope tomorrow is better.

    By Blogger caroline, at 3/4/11, 12:07 AM  

  • Thanks Caroline. By the way, do you have a blog? You've left supportive comments for me several times, and I'd return the favor if I knew where to find you. :)

    By Blogger Di Di, at 3/4/11, 12:46 AM  

  • I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad day Didi. I like the idea of starting over

    By Blogger Psycgirl, at 3/4/11, 7:36 PM  

  • Starting over is definitely a smart move - some days are just too much for anyone to take in their stride. Hope things come together in a better way soon

    By Blogger JaneB, at 3/5/11, 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home