February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

This year, I decided to celebrate Valentine's Day by purchasing a heart-shaped chocolate raspberry cake that is all for me. When I saw the cake in the window at Whole Foods, I fantasized about taking it home and eating an enormous piece on my couch, in my pajamas, with my cat at my side, in a glorious indulgence of everything that is great about being single.

As it turns out, the cake is so rich that even though it's delicious, I can only eat one small piece at a time. So instead of devouring the cake in a couple of evenings, I will be eating a small piece with every meal for the rest of the week. Still a pretty good way to celebrate the holiday.

There are times when I feel ambivalent about my personal life (mostly when other people are giving me crap about it), but ultimately, if being in a relationship were important to me I would be in one. My daily choices add up to my life of total independence because that's what I value right now. I don't want to have to call someone every day. I don't want to plan my week around someone else's schedule. I want to do whatever I want all the time.

I probably won't feel this way forever. I could change my mind tomorrow, or years from now. But I'm glad that over this past year, I have stayed true to what I wanted. I have confidently made choices that were best for me, and I have ignored people who tried to make me feel bad about it.

So here's to all my single girls (and guys) who aren't at home crying because nobody sent them flowers. If you're happy with your choices, then I'm happy for you. Eat something delicious for me.

1 Comments:

  • There are definitely days I dislike being single, but 90% of the time I looooove being alone. I'm glad you had a good Valentine's Day :)

    By Blogger Psycgirl, at 2/15/11, 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home