January 13, 2011

Yinzer Solidarity

I finally took my computer to a repair technician today. I explained that the fan has been buzzing and grinding, and I've also been having a "jumping cursor" problem where typing certain keys causes the mouse to click.

The technician noticed my Penguins lanyard. Turns out, we're both originally from Pittsburgh. So we talked about the city, the sports teams, Pittsburgh tattoos we have seen.

Then he told me that he would replace the casing, the keyboard, and the battery all for free, even though my laptop is long out of warranty. He also said that he would check out the fan and see what might be causing the noise.

I waited anxiously on the bench, giddy and thrilled that my cursor problem repairs would be free, but worried about what else he might find when he opened the laptop.

Finally, he came back, and I asked, "What did you find?"

"Lots and lots of cat hair."

My cat likes to sit on my keyboard, and apparently her shedding got into the vent and clogged the fan. The technician cleaned it out and ordered a new fan, also for free. When the part arrives, I just have to take my computer back so that they can install the new fan.

I laughed practically the whole way home, I was so relieved that the repairs were free and so amused that the problem turned out to be car hair.

Of course when I told her, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.

3 Comments:

  • I gave my dad my old laptop (after cleaning it with a program endorsed by the Department of Defense ;) and he thought the screen was cracked at first because of cat hair. ha!

    By Anonymous meaningfulrevisions, at 1/14/11, 1:16 PM  

  • That's hilarious! I'm glad your computer is back in working order

    By Blogger Psycgirl, at 1/14/11, 7:51 PM  

  • Oh no.....but I'm glad that you had it cleaned for free and it's back in working order.

    By Anonymous Anthea, at 1/15/11, 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home