October 9, 2010

First interview

My first dissertation interview was last week. I started with someone whose work I really admire, so I was nervous and spent a week on the background research, memorizing every little detail so i wouldn't sound clueless.

The interview went really well -- he was friendly and helpful, and gave me some great anecdotes that I can use. He is also going to help me track down quantitative data that relates to my topic.

Now I'm working on transcribing the recording -- and wow, I hate how I sound on tape. I was trying to sound professional and charming and knowledgeable. On the recording, my voice sounds high and girly and ditzy. And why did I say "cool" so many times like I'm twelve years old?

Fortunately, nobody will ever hear these recordings except for me. It's right there in the IRB documents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home