August 28, 2010

Gulp

Next week, I am presenting at a conference. I have presented at conferences before, but I am especially nervous about this presentation because I co-authored the paper with my advisor. The paper was his idea, and we wrote it to promote a major project that he is putting together.

So I'm pretty nervous. I can deal with presenting my own work -- at worst, I'll make myself look terrible, and it wouldn't be the first time! But presenting my advisor's work adds pressure, since I really want to do a good job for him.

And, my last conference presentation was not amazing. I got some very upsetting personal news right before the conference, so I was exhausted and a wreck. Then my visuals didn't work, when my entire plan was to present the visuals. I did my best under the circumstances, but it could have been so much better, and I still cringe at the memory.

So I've been coping by unproductively obsessing over my conference outfit. I've been trying on all of my clothes in different combinations, trying to find the best professional outfit. Currently, five pairs of shoes are under consideration.

I know that most social scientists wouldn't know a cute shoe if it kicked them in the face, but I just want everything to be perfect.

6 Comments:

  • I've been indulging myself with cute shoes lately and it's amazing how many people at work notice. I have received more compliments on my feet than I ever would have believed.

    Try not to psych yourself out. Wishing you much luck at the conference!

    By Blogger post-doc, at 8/29/10, 8:10 AM  

  • Good luck Didi! I'm sure you'll do great

    By Blogger Psycgirl, at 8/30/10, 2:38 PM  

  • Thanks to both of you. :)

    By Blogger Di Di, at 8/30/10, 3:13 PM  

  • Totally off-topic, but wondered if you'd seen this:

    http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2010/08/30/cartoon-street-harassment/#comment-410757

    By Blogger Kristen, at 8/31/10, 8:04 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Kristen, at 8/31/10, 8:04 PM  

  • Inksster -- I hadn't seen it, but I love the comic. It sums up street harassment perfectly, including the reactions you get from men and people who have never lived in an area where it happens. "Gee, what's wrong with someone saying you look nice?" They don't understand at all.

    By Blogger Di Di, at 9/6/10, 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home