July 25, 2010

Play soccer

Three weeks ago, I joined a new soccer team.

I had been reluctant to play soccer this summer because I was nervous about getting hurt, and because I didn't want to go back to my old team that was not very awesome when I broke my foot... and because I didn't want to pay one hundred dollars to join a new team as an individual.

But then -- I realized that when I played lesbian football in the fall, I joined the Local Gay Sports League and paid a membership fee. The membership lasts for an entire year... which means I was eligible to play gay soccer for a reduced price... much less than it costs to play in my other league.

So I decided to give gay soccer a try.

Based on the first three games, gay soccer is better than lesbian football in the following ways: 1) It's co-ed, and I like playing with men; 2) Nobody is bitchy and competitive; 3) I actually know how to play soccer; 4) Nobody pushes me into the dirt on purpose.

My team is really cool. Everyone is nice and encouraging. Several times, people told me "great job!" after I did something helpful, and "you're doing a great job" at halftime. Other players are much better than I am, so it's not because I'm awesome. They are just nice, supportive people, and that's exactly what you want on a rec team.

2 Comments:

  • One of the men in my program is writing his dissertation on his gay volleyball league.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/29/10, 8:04 PM  

  • I don't think there's enough material in my soccer league, probably because it's rec level. But I've heard interesting stories about some of the more competitive gay leagues... like I read somewhere that in a super competitive baseball league, there's controversy about straight "ringers" joining teams and giving them an unfair advantage.

    Our league is open to anyone, though, and everyone is very casual about it.

    By Blogger Di Di, at 7/31/10, 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home