May 24, 2010

Yes I know it's easy to figure out which town

The singer Jason Mraz is from my little hick hometown. He is our most famous celebrity, and we're very proud of him. My connection is that before he was famous, he used to date my friend's sister. Anyway, Jason is apparently speaking out about gay rights because he has vivid memories of homophobia in our hometown:
When I was in high school, I experienced being bullied. For whatever reason, there were a few students that enjoyed calling me “faggot” as I walked thru the lunchroom. On one occasion, just before graduation, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and picked up a few punches, kicks and scrapes to add to my story. I never knew why the handsome lads called me names or felt the need to bully me, but it happened and I let their actions contribute a great deal to my moving away from that community.

Shortly after the row, my best friend came out, sharing with his friends and family that he was gay. In my small town, this was uncommon and since then I’ve considered my friend to be the bravest man in the world. Aware of the hate within our community, I was afraid my friend might be inviting trouble to his door – but that never stopped him from being fully expressed. This is why I am actively seeking equality for the whole.

Anyway, I think it's kind of awesome that he is calling out the town. "the hate in our community" is harsh but it's true.

1 Comments:

  • Excellent! My hometown, though in a completely different part of the country, was the same way. I am so proud that my best childhood friend who left town in Junior year to get the hell away from the persecution, has now come back and is 1/2 of the FIRST married gay couple in Wyoming!

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 5/27/10, 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home