May 11, 2010

Dissertation time

I've been dealing with travel, family stuff, and daily physical therapy for the past few weeks, so my dissertation hasn't been going as well as I'd hoped. I'm getting work done, but I haven't been able to get into a routine of daily, sustained productivity -- my fantasy schedule where I work for hours without interruption, and big tasks get accomplished in just a few days. Now that I'm back in my city, in my own apartment, I'm hoping to get closer to the ideal dissertation schedule.

My advisor wants me to look at some new data related to our collaboration. I'm happy that he asked because I love this project -- and because working with quantitative data is like a break for my brain. But I have to resist the temptation to prioritize other work over my dissertation.

So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to work x hours on my dissertation, and then when I'm finished I'm allowed to work on the collaboration. I think this will wake up my brain and get me back into work mode.

Today, though, I'm going to do some lazy relaxing data entry, because I'm still recovering from the latest trip. I've been stressed out for three days, then up half the night feeling sick, and my brain and body feel like jelly. Some days all I can do is type numbers into my dataset.

Tomorrow, though. For real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home