May 25, 2010

City driving sucks (and, I get into another car accident)

At my university, all graduate students are forced to buy student transit passes. It's a terrible deal for students who don't take public transit, but it's great for me because I live in the city and I use public transit quite often. Or at least I did until I lost that fucking thing three months before it expires and we get a new one.

I won't get my summer transit pass until the end of June, so I have been driving everywhere. I hate driving in the city. Other drivers are aggressive and reckless, and you constantly have to break for jaywalking pedestrians and douchebag cyclists. It's incredibly stressful, especially for me because I learned to drive in the south (we're not nicer, but by design it's a lot easier to drive there). So I really, really hate city driving to the point where I avoid errands because I don't want to deal with it. But since my car gets excellent milage and I don't drive very far, it's cheaper for me to drive everywhere than to pay for public transit.

Or so I thought -- then I got into a car accident that cost me a few hundred dollars. But since that's a sunk cost, I went back to driving to save money. Then today I got into another fucking car accident. This time it was not my fault.* The woman behind me was aggressively tailgating me, and the guy behind her was also tailgating -- then he hit her, and she hit me. Nobody was hurt... though I had a few moments of heart-stopping panic when it happened.

I'm always telling myself to ignore aggressive tailgaters, to just focus on what's in front of me. My job is to drive safely and to avoid hitting the douchebags who jump out in front of me (even if they deserve it). It's not my job to worry about the car behind me... that's what I'm always telling myself. But this really isn't going to help.

* It was not even a little bit my fault. I didn't break suddenly or anything. The road was congested and backed up. There was nowhere to go, but these drivers were still tailgating... that's why it happened.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home