January 2, 2010

I may never drive again

Less than two weeks after this happened to me, I got caught driving in this on the Indiana turnpike.

I actually did check the forecast. I didn't want to drive today. But my sister wanted me out of her apartment, and the new quarter starts on Monday -- and it looked like the snow would be even worse over the weekend. I felt like I didn't have a choice.

Once again, it was horrible. My car cannot handle snow at all. The turnpike was covered in dense, bumpy snow and I could not see the lines on the road, or where the road ended. I lost control of the car a few times. When I was alone on the road, I couldn't see anything but white -- it was extremely difficult to follow the curve of the road because it was completely dark, and I could only see the snow on the road in front of me.

The drive from my sister's apartment should have taken 5 hours, but it took 10. I almost spent the night at a travel plaza -- the roads were so bad that I felt certain that I would eventually crash. But, I made this decision 20 miles from the next plaza... and by the time I got there (two hours later), I could see that I was finally driving out of the storm. Now I'm home with my cat, and we are both safe.

My break was short and stressful. I've had very little time to relax -- I got home a few days before Christmas, then my family drove to Pittsburgh to see relatives (very tiring and stressful) -- and now I'm coming back frazzled and traumatized and exhausted.

I just want to curl up with my cat and rest for a week, to have a real break. I can't believe the quarter starts on Monday.

2 Comments:

  • Aww... I'm so sorry it went that way. Glad you and cat are home safely though, even if it's COLD! Hmm... maybe you can arrange for some really good quality weekend breaks. I mean even if it's only one day, a really GOOD day can go far.

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 1/3/10, 5:10 PM  

  • I'm so sorry to hear about this. I had similar experience with traumatizing driving incidents. It took me a long time to drive after those, it totally makes sense. I hope you're able to relax and stay out of vehicles for a while.

    By Blogger Psych Post Doc, at 1/4/10, 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home