October 29, 2009

Not quite yet

Now that I'm a fourth year, people are always saying things to me like, "So you're about to graduate!"

Then I have to correct them, and they ask me how much longer. And when I say, "Well, it depends on how long it takes me to write my dissertation" -- they look at me like I'm a contemptible slacker.

So I've started telling people, "Actually, it's a seven year program."

I'm hoping to be done in 6, but I want to be covered in case it takes even longer. I'm just really sick of people gasping in horror when they hear how long it takes.

Someone needs to make a pamphlet about What Not to Ask Grad Students, like "How is your dissertation going?" I dream of a world where people place these questions in the same category as, "Have you gained weight?" and "Is your marriage doing any better?"

2 Comments:

  • When I was a grad student, the student union had these really neat T-shirts printed which said "Don't ask me about my thesis!"

    There sold an awful lot of them...

    By Blogger JaneB, at 10/30/09, 11:51 AM  

  • LOL! I want a T-shirt! There is a senior psychologist at my internship who makes it his business to harass my fellow intern and me about our dissertations at every opportunity. How he thinks this is helpful is beyond me... What? Does he think we've forgotten we need to write one? Like that isn't the content of our recurring nightmares on a regular basis? Gah!

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 11/1/09, 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home