August 23, 2009

First!

I am presenting a conference paper in just under two weeks. The chair of my panel just e-mailed everyone to complain that he has not received a single paper. As an incentive, he has decided that "Our presentation time will be allocated in order of receipt of the papers, with the first paper in getting the first time slot when we meet."

My paper is basically finished. I still have to type up a fancy title page, and I want to proof-read the paper one more time, but I could turn it in tonight. But now that we have this e-mail, I feel like immediately responding with my paper would be like typing "First!" in blog comments... sort of annoying... and then I would have to present first.

Maybe someone else will submit her paper soon, and then I can be second. Or maybe we are all watching our e-mails and hoping to be second.

Update: I'm done and I need to sleep, so I submitted the paper. I decided I would rather be first than wake up tomorrow and find out that I'm last.

5 Comments:

  • Oops... clearly he didn't think it through very well when he tried to offer this motivational carrot. Ewww! Who ever wants to go first??? LOL!

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 8/23/09, 11:33 PM  

  • I'm slightly confused about his wording -- it almost seems like he is suggesting that the first person will have more time? Maybe he assumes that everybody will talk over their time, leaving the last person with less time.

    I'm very good about staying in my time, so I will not use the privilege of going first to take over the panel.

    By Blogger Di Di, at 8/24/09, 2:01 AM  

  • yay! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to hearing about how great it goes :)

    By Blogger Psycgirl, at 8/24/09, 2:14 PM  

  • So are you going first? I think it's odd that they'd make a change in presentation order, aren't you already listed on the program in a certain order?

    Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    By Blogger Psych Post Doc, at 8/24/09, 7:08 PM  

  • I turned in my paper first, so I guess this means I am presenting first. I don't know what the program order is... but I am okay with going first. It will be scary, but at least it will be over fast.


    Still haven't received any other papers. I wonder if everyone else is busy with the beginning of the school year. (I'm on the quarter system so I don't have that problem)

    By Blogger Di Di, at 8/24/09, 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home