August 21, 2009

Dining room table people

Today, I saw the LaRouche people protesting healthcare reform in front of the train station. They were passing out pictures of Obama with a Hitler mustache.

One of the protesters approached me while I was waiting to cross the street and tried to give me an Obama-Hitler picture. I said, "Do you really think that if we have public healthcare it will lead to Nazi Germany?"

He started to argue, "The Nazis had death panels --"

But I felt fatigued after five words, so I just said, very politely, "I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. And I think the picture is disgusting." He nodded and walked away.

My city voted overwhelmingly for Obama, so I imagine the protesters are getting negative reactions from just about everyone. But Barney Frank is right, there is just no point in arguing with someone who thinks it's appropriate to put a Hitler mustache on the president.

2 Comments:

  • Although I'd love to agree with you that the protestors are getting a nasty response the unfortunate truth is that the those that do not know or understand the health care reform are grasping at anything and everything that they can to make them feel safe, they'll believe just about anyone that can plant the seed of fear in them.

    It's sad. I may or may not support the health care reform but I DO NOT support the propogation of lies and the tatic of scaring folks into one side or another.

    Just found your blog through a friennd that sent the feminist rant link (of which I tweeted it on great post!) I believe I will become a regular reader.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/09, 4:39 PM  

  • Oh my. I followed your link and was just sad. It terrifies me that these people have a vote, ya know?

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 8/22/09, 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home