August 27, 2009

Conference preparation

1. Wait for papers to arrive. The conference is less than a week away, and I am still the only person on my panel who has sent a paper. Usually this would be unremarkable -- in my limited experience, it's common for papers to arrive only a few days before the conference. But after the chair sent an e-mail implying that we didn't deserve space at the conference because we hadn't submitted papers yet (five days ago), the wait feels sort of tense.

2. Hot pink luggage for stylish travel.
All the other social scientists will be jealous!

3. Separation anxiety. I will be away from my cat for nearly five days. Usually I take my cat with me when I travel, so we have never been apart for this many days. I am already feeling anxious and guilty about leaving her alone. I'm worried that she will be scared and confused, and that she will think I have abandoned her. One of my friends is going to feed her every day, but she is afraid of strangers, so this will be a small comfort. I wish I could make her understand that I am coming back.

4. Clean apartment. One of the best and worst parts of being single is that I am free to neglect housekeeping tasks pretty much indefinitely. I keep some areas clean and let others fill with clutter. But, since my friend is helping me out by feeding my cat, I feel an obligation to clean the whole apartment... So far it's going very slowly because I keep reading the internet instead.

4 Comments:

  • Have a safe trip! Love the hot pink luggage, so easy to pick yours our from all the black bags! :)

    By Blogger Psych Post Doc, at 8/28/09, 6:20 PM  

  • OK, I realize how lame this will sound, but I have the same problem with my cats. The vet said (I'm not kidding) to TALK to the cats before I leave. Calmly explain that I am leaving, for how long, that someone will visit, that I will be back, etc. It seems to help (or else it's in my head). Our one cat gets sick when we leave but the last few times he didn't.

    Great luggage! And does this mean you get to present first?

    By Blogger rented life, at 8/29/09, 11:57 AM  

  • Turn off the computer and TV before cleaning the appartment. Put away reading material. I like to set a timer, clean till it goes off, and be done with it.

    By Anonymous Linda, at 8/29/09, 9:09 PM  

  • I like Rented Life's comment. I'm the same way with my pets. Now you have your vlog you could make a couple of vids for her and have your friend play them while you're away (and it will take her focus off whatever clutter you don't get to). You can call when your friend is there, too, and talk to your cat. It's not nuts, it's perfectly normal concern.

    The luggage rocks. Kick some backside when you present!

    By Blogger Mamabeek, at 9/1/09, 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home